Tuesday, September 11, 2007

To cut a broad swath...

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. . . .

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms."

Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

Rukhiya said...

I do not know why this invokes in me a desire to go away. Not without a certain sadness that expresses itself as a feeling of abandon.
I think this thought, which has long haunted me, is a tipping point, where sadness and peace meet, where thoughts of going and not going rest.

Blog Archive