"Darwinian evolution tells us that we are incipient compost: assemblages of complex molecules that - for no greater purpose than to secure sources of energy against competing claims - have developed the ability to speculate. After a few score years, the molecules disaggregate and return whence they came. Period.
As a gardener and ecologist, I find this oddly comforting. I like the idea of literal reincarnation: that the molecules of which I am composed will, once I have rotted, be incorporated into other organisms. Bits of me will be pushing through the growing tips of trees, will creep over them as caterpillars, will hunt those caterpillars as birds. When I die, I would like to be buried in a fashion which ensures that no part of me is wasted. Then I can claim to have been of some use after all.
Is this not better than the awful lottery of judgement? Is a future we can predict not more comforting than one committed to the whims of inscrutable authority? Is eternal death not a happier prospect than eternal life? The atoms of which we are composed, which we have borrowed momentarily from the ecosphere, will be recycled until the universe collapses.
This is our continuity, our eternity. Why should anyone want more?"
'A life with no Purpose', George Monbiot
- ► 2017 (28)
- ► 2016 (108)
- ► 2015 (124)
- ► 2014 (252)
- ► 2013 (199)
- ► 2012 (435)
- ► 2011 (353)
- Sit. Feast on your life.
- Why you cannot lie to an aphasiac
- may my heart always be open to little birds
- The space for hypocrisy
- Till then my windows ache
- Can you hold out?
- Variation on the Word Sleep
- Living a story
- April is the cruellest month
- The Right Hemisphere
- Once in a Poem
- i thank You God for most this amazing day
- i carry your heart with me
- since feeling is first
- when hair falls off and eyes blur
- somewhere i have never travelled
- In spite of everything
- Clenched Soul
- Every Day You Play
- Tonight I Can Write
- To repay vileness with doves...
- There's No Forgetting (Sonata)
- I do not love you as if you were brine-rose, topaz...
- The Summer Day
- Road Song
- Positive news. Happy Stories. Unsung Heroes.
- To My Son's Girlfriend
- Rough Road
- Actions result in other actions
- Purple to Red
- The youngest
- Once upon a time in Rajasthan
- Walking a Songline
- The old storybook
- ▼ April (48)