Saturday, November 13, 2021

Mercy

When I was a child, every monsoon season, I spent a lot of time rescuing small insects drowning in pools of rain water in the hilly green area where we lived. I walked around after the rain, looking out for them. And for those that could not be reached with twigs, I made small paper boats and pushed them in their direction. When they clambered on to the boat, I would breath again. 

I can relate to this poem. :) 

Mercy
after Nikki Giovanni

She asks me to kill the spider.
Instead, I get the most peaceful weapons I can find.

I take a cup and a napkin.
I catch the spider, put it outside
and allow it to walk away.

If I am ever caught in the wrong place
at the wrong time, just being alive
and not bothering anyone,

I hope I am greeted
with the same kind
of mercy. 

Rudy Francisco
Helium

Rudy K. Francisco is an American Spoken Word poet and author of Caribbean origin. 

No comments:

Blog Archive