Friday, January 31, 2014

What the river says




















Ask Me

Some time when the river is ice ask me
mistakes I have made.  Ask me whether
what I have done is my life.  Others
have come in their slow way into
my thought, and some have tried to help
or to hurt: ask me what difference
their strongest love or hate has made.

I will listen to what you say.
You and I can turn and look
at the silent river and wait.  We know
the current is there, hidden; and there
are comings and goings from miles away
that hold the stillness exactly before us.
What the river says, that is what I say.

William Stafford, Stories That Could Be True (1977).

Rain Tree Raagaas: https://picasaweb.google.com/106491954401233999557/RainTreeRaagaas

1 comment:

Sabita said...

I've begun to look forward to the moments of peace that your blog brings me with every new post :)

Blog Archive