Friday, October 14, 2011

I have to go to the sunset now

 

















"There are some things  a man can't do alone. I wouldn't think of trying anything so big without....." He stopped. The heavy waves beat the hard beach, and the yellow light of the setting sun illuminated a cloud to the eastward, a clot of gold.

"Without what?", Doc asked.

"Without love", said the seer. "I have to go to the sunset now. I've come to the point where I don't think it can go down without me. That makes me seem needed." He stood up and brushed the pine needles from his threadbare overalls.

"I'll come to see you again", said Doc.

"I might be gone", the seer replied. "I've got a restlessness in me. I'll probably be gone."

Doc watched him trudge over the brim of the dune and saw the wind flip up the brim of his straw hat and the yellow sunlight up his face and glisten in his beard."

Chapter 10, 'There's a Hole in Reality Through Which We Can Look if We Wish", page 47, 48.

'Sweet Thursday', John Steinbeck

2/7/1984

No comments:

Blog Archive