Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tségihi, house made of dawn...

"In fact, many Native American and First Nations songs do not use a fixed language at all, but rely on vocables, which are impromptu words without a specific meaning but whose sound fits the song. Words are not necessarily an essential component of songs, sung poems, or even certain prayer ceremonies.

...Here is a song (or poem) used by the Navajo Nation as a prayer in the healing ceremony known as the Night Chant. It uses fixed words and phrases, and is recited to a rythmic ceremonial drum beat or, sometimes, to a small spirit drum:

Tségihi,
House made of dawn.
House made of evening light.
House made of the dark cloud.
House made of male rain.
House made of dark mist.
House made of female rain.
House made of pollen.
House made of grasshoppers.
Dark cloud is at the door.
The trail out of it is dark cloud.
The zigzag lightning stands high upon it.
Male deity!
Your offering I make.
I have prepared a smoke for you.
Restore my feet for me.
Restore my legs for me.
Restore my body for me.
Restore my mind for me.
This very day take out your spell for me.
Your spell remove for me.
You have taken it away for me.
Far off it has gone.
Happily I recover.
Happily my interior becomes cool.
Happily I go forth.
My interior feeling cool, may I walk.
No longer sore, may I walk.
Impervious to pain, may I walk.
With lively feeling may I walk.
As it used to be long ago, may I walk.
Happily may I walk.
Happily, with abundant dark clouds, may I walk.
Happily, with abundant showers, may I walk.
Happily, with abundant plants, may I walk.
Happily, on a trail of pollen, may I walk.
Happily may I walk.
Being as it used to be long ago, may I walk.
May it be beautiful before me
May it be beautiful behind me.
May it be beautiful below me.
May it be beautiful above me.
With it be beautiful all around me.
In beauty it is finished."

From here.

No comments:

Blog Archive