Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunlight


















The Word
by Tony Hoagland

Down near the bottom
of the crossed-out list
of things you have to do today,

between "green thread"
and "broccoli," you find
that you have penciled "sunlight."

Resting on the page, the word
is beautiful. It touches you
as if you had a friend

and sunlight were a present
he had sent from someplace distant
as this morning—to cheer you up,

and to remind you that,
among your duties, pleasure
is a thing

that also needs accomplishing.
Do you remember?
that time and light are kinds

of love, and love
is no less practical
than a coffee grinder
or a safe spare tire?...

..........................................................................

I am a sunlight-addict. I watch light all the time, its many shades, hues, fluidity, its mercurial moods. I am keenly aware of its varying warmth on my skin, I revel in it, I open up to it, as if to human touch. The light on, and through leaves, brings me inexplicable joy. An everyday gift I have easy access to, in this warm country of infinite brightness. I cannot understand when people call an overcast day "such lovely weather" :).

I have been seen sitting alone on a beach wall, on a 42 degree C summer afternoon, high on the heat, watching the light on each rising wave. If this is insanity, let me never be cursed with a cure :)
 
And therefore, the absence of sunlight is the most cruel punishment. Two months in a cold gray country and I wanted to die. When I returned I wandered around crazed in the sun for weeks together, delirious with happiness and relief. I was on my knees, thankful for a bounty I have done nothing to deserve. Gratitude is my strongest emotion, every single day.

I can relate to this poem :)

Asha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Asha,

this i can relate to. Need to work in a space that is open to the elements too. When one works in an artificial environment, methinks one loses more than just fresh air.

arvind

Blog Archive